Thursday 9 May 2013

Abstract or Pictorial?


Abstract Images means: (According to my free online dictionary)

Stylistically abstruse and non-pictorial  - free from representation

I searched on the internet for ‘Abstract Illustration’. Here is a good example according to the definition above.





This image below also came up in the search for abstract illustration. There was lots of these types of images. I found it interesting how the artists called their images abstract when they are clearly representational. They are stylised, but not abstract, they are not free from representation.






I had ago at my own abstract images. I made marks to music. These are marks made to Beethoven 5th Symphony. I had to listen to it about five times before I became comfortable making marks to represent certain sounds. The first ones I did were a mass of squiggles and that shows my lack of confidence, but the more I listened and the more I found the right marks. I found it helpful to work on bigger sheets of paper, this enabled me to edit it better and chose interesting marks for my album cover. I used dip pen and ink. I had two pens, one in each hand, one with a broad nib and one with a narrow one. The high notes were used by the narrow pen and the low ones were used by the broad one. I found I used the one pen at a time in certain places and simultaneously in others. Very cool experience.

This piece of music has an enormous amount of movement and is very complex. I chose a simple line that best described the movement of the song.

I was hooked and I tried other music like Cold Play and the Eurythmics.














No comments:

Post a Comment