Thursday 19 September 2013

Making Time to Stand and Stare


I have wondered over the marvels of nature all my life, but today, it finally rested upon me and I feel sure it’s the origins of my inspiration.

My parent’s garden was on a hill and I could see for miles from the top. I could see sunbeams through the clouds as the light traveled in straight lines through the large cumulus clouds. I spent a lot of time alone looking up, physically and metaphorically and I always found wonderment and fascination.

Life speeds up and gets more complicated, but today I pondered on the poem by William Henry Davis called Leisure. I really have the need now to surround myself with the things that influence my own creative inclinations. I need to stand and stare as I did as a child. I may not translate nature in my work in a literal way, but I will allow myself to be impressed by its form, colour and line.



No comments:

Post a Comment